KILMAHUMAIG BURIAL GROUND
This is an old grave yard, still in use, North East of the road from Bellanoch to Crinan, 300 m from the Crinan Canal. Traditionally, a chapel stood within it, but no vestiges of it now remain. According to M Campbell and M Sandeman, “ It was dedicated to St Cummine, 7th Abbot of Iona, or one of the Colmocs.” Dun Domhmuill, a natural mound once used as a moot-hill by the MacDonald clan, stands 150 m to the WSW.
A lease of the bishop’s teinds of the chapel of “Kilmahowmaig” was granted in 1591, and 1654, the teinds of the Arichonan estate were described as pertaining to a chapel. In 1633, the profits of the ‘chaplainry of St. Colmocus’ were confirmed to Niall MacKay as heir to the Kilmahumaig estate. The remains of this chapel disappeared before 1845, but it was presumably situated on the level ground in the N half of the existing quadrangular enclosure, whose walls are of 19th century date. (RCAHMS, 1992)
Reference: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk CANMORE database
THE MONUMENT LISTING
1. Erected by DOND SINCLAIR in memory of his father, LACHLAN SINCLAIR who died June 6th 1840, aged 75 years; and of his mother, CATHERINE MCLACHLAN, who died May 15th 1841, aged 72 years, also of his brother, JOHN, who died Sept 20th 1824, aged 19 years, 1851.
In memory of DUNCAN SINCLAIR who died at Silvercraigs, Lochgilphead, 1st July 1888, aged 76 years, and son DUNCAN, died in infancy, and Daughter, ELIZABETH, died July 1849, aged 18 months.
3. Erected by JOHN TURNER, teacher, to the memory of his Mother, ANNE MCARTHUR, who died 28th Nov 1831, and of this three daughters: ANNE, BELLA AND LILLIAS, who died in Infancy.
4. 1854. Erected by BETTY SINCLAIR, in memory of her husband, DUNCAN MCDONALD, who departed this life on the 18th Jany 1850 aged 55 years.
6. (Transcription by Mrs Alison Dawson:)
6a. (Transcription by F. S. McKenna:)