CARSAIG, NORTH KNAPDALE PARISH
NR73486 (Off B8025 at Tayvallich)
This burial ground is situated on the shore at the SE angle of Carsaig Bay, an inlet across from the Island of Jura. Currie, writing in 1830, records the traditional name as “Carn Chaonich,” or “Kenneth’s Tomb":
“....This person was Kenneth McLean from the Island of Mull, who about two hundred and forty years since (ie, since 1830), in the reign of James VI of Scotland, landed on this coast with a number of his followers, to revenge a quarrel he had with MacNeill of Taynish, Laird of Ross in this parish. Having defeated MacNeill and his adherents, he carried with him the spoils of his victory, which in those days consisted to cattle, to the Bay of Carasaig, in order to be ferred to Mull.
Here he was met by MacIlebhearnaig (ie, ‘Graham’) of Oib, who remonstrated with him on this cruelty to MacNeill. Kenneth replied, ‘This evening you will lose you head, when I shall enjoy the embraces of your fair spouse.’ Graham, with much address and presence of mind, said to him, ‘Look at that beautiful ship, under full sail, coming down the Sound of Jura.’ On this, McLean turned round to see the ship, when Graham, seizing the opportunity, thrust his dagger into Kenneth’s side, when he fell and was there buried...”
(From Dr. Archibald Currie, A Description of the Antiquities and Scenery of the Parish of North Knapdale, Argyleshire, Glasgow, W.R.McPherson, 1830.)
THE MONUMENTS LISTING
1 ** (Flat Stone; Centre: Shield, with Crown and Hammer, date 1736.)
3. PATRICK MUNRO aged 84 years died June 1793. (“d”s are reversed to “b” here)
4.** Here lies the corps of JOHN MCKICHAN ALIAS MCDUGALD, son to GILLBERT MCKICHAN in Knap who died Febr 2d 1751, aged 26 (years). Done by DUGALD MCKICHAN
5. 1864. Erected by JOHN AND ARCHIBALD MCNEIL in memory of their father DONALD MCNEIL, Ardnackaig, born March 25, 1770, died March 1, 1836, and their mother CHRISTINA MCCALLUM, died January 13th 1835, aged 66 years. The above ARCHIBALD MCNEIL died at Dunoon, 13th November, 1891, aged 82 years.
6. 1864. Erected by MARY AND CATHERINE GRAHAM in memory of their father HUGH GRAHAM, Glensaul, died July 15 1847, aged 67 years. And their mother ANN JOHNSTON, died Oct 16 1847, aged 66 years. The above CATHERINE GRAHAM, wife to ARCHIBALD MCNEIL, Died 3rd September 1864 aged 60 years.
7. 1781. Here layes JOHN GRAHM and his spouse, erected by ISABEL GRAHAM his daughter.
8. Here lyeth the body of DNIEL BACKSTER who died in the year 1760 aged 60 years.
9. In memory of CATHRINE MACNEIL, wife of DUNCAN BLACK, late tenant Gallchoilly, died Mar 5, 1847, aged 54 years.
10. ALEX GRAHAM, Tayvallich died Agust 9, 180, aged 60 years.
11. Erected by NEIL MCNEIL, Ardnackaig, in memory of his father MALCOLM MCNEIL late tacksman Ardnackaig who died 2nd March 1837 aged 84 years; and his mother HELEN GRAHAM who died 6th March 1840 aged 85 years. Also his son JAMES who died 1st Feby 1845 aged 24 years. HELEN, his daughter died 9 Nov 1869 aged 29 years; NEIL his son, died 11th Dec 1874 aged 52 years. The above NEIL MCNEIL died 24th June 1878 aged 88 years.
12. Flat stone at former entrance to ruin.
14. ** Stone with Wings, “Momento Mori”, Cross, Child’s Head.
15. Family burying ground of NIEL CAMPBELL, Bellanoch, in memory of his son NIEL who died on the 18th June 1840, aged 4 years.
16. In memory of HUGH PATERSON, who died at Barnashalg 14 July 1854 aged 67. Also CATHERINE MCMILLAN, his wife who died 14th November 1857 aged 53 years.
18. Flat stone.
19.(Within low iron rail enclosure)
20. ** Here lys ALEXNR HUIE, Shipmaster in Salcots, who died 17th Febry 1749 aged 73.
21.(Flat stone at rear of ruin)
22. ** This is the burying place of ANGUS GRAHAM, who died at Ardnackaig 1760 aged 60 years, and of his wife and their children.
23.(Angel’s head/ wings on reverse of stone)
24. **Reverse has relief Sculpture of Angel’s head & wings, also “Momento Mori”
25.(Top portion has fallen & side piece is missing.)
26.Flat stone and upright.
29. Flat stone.
30.Flat stone beside #29 above
31. Erected by ALLAN MCLEAN, in memory of his father who died at Leachy July 18, 1848, ALLAN MCLEAN aged 75 years.
32. Facing #31
33. Erected by HECTOR MCLEAN, Tayvallich, in memory of his wife MARGARET CAMPBELL who died January 14th 1846 aged 40 years. Also his two sons MALCOLM lost at sea, March 1862 aged 24 years; ALLAN drowned in the Clyde through the Daphne disaster, July 3rd, 1883 aged 48 years.
34. Table stone.
35. Erected to the memory of ROBERT CAMPBELL, Kilmory Ross, who died 22nd December 1837, aged 42 years; his daughter SARAH who died in 1833 aged 4 years; also his grandson ROBERT who died 13th May 1877 aged 3 years, beloved son of JAMES AND ISABELLA CAMPBELL. This monument was renewed in 1907 by his son, P. CAMPBELL.
37. Erected by DUNCAN MCMILLAN, farmer Fernoch, in memory of his father DUNCAN MCMILLAN, late farmer Cosindrochid, died 1852 aged 91. Also his son MALCOLM, died 1853 aged 19; and of his daughter CATHRINE, died 1877 aged 40. The above DUNCAN MCMILLAN died about 1878; his wife FLORA MUNRO, died March 1895 aged 90,. Their son DONALD died 16th Nov 1929 aged 83.
39.(Upright Sandstone stone much weathered and indistinct)
40. NEIL FISHER in memory of his wife, MERCY MCKEY, 1862.
41. Erected by NEIL SMITH, Farmer, Drimnagal, in memory of his mother CATHERINE PATERSON who died at Drimnagal 22nd Septr 1855 aged 45 years; his father DUGALD SMITH, late farmer Drimnagal who died there 16th May 1869, aged 66 years; his sister SARAH who died at Drimnagal 10th January 1875 aged 26 years.
42(Within low concrete enclosure are 3 stones, an upright and 2 flat stones)
43. Erected by ARCHIBALD GRAHAM in memory of his parents ARCHIBALD GRAHAM who died 17th Sept 1872 aged 74; and MATILDA MCARTHUR died 13th February 1852 aged 48; his brother ALEXANDER died 17th March 1880 aged 40; his niece MATILDA BROWN died 8th Decr 1867 aged 14 months. The above ARCHIBALD GRAHAM died 15th January 1915 aged 69; his son HUGH K GRAHAM, killed in France, 1st April 1918 aged 24.
44. **(Mural inside ruin)
45. To the memory of NEIL BLUE, tenant in Downie who died 26 June 1799 aged 65 years. This stone is erected by his affectionate wife MARY KERR.
46. ** Here lys the corps of DUNCAN MCLAUCHLAN SON TO INNISCHONNELL who dyd at Tayvollich in 1739 aged 66 years. This don by the devotion of MARGARET his dou [ghter]
47. MOR GRAHAM spous to DONALD GRAHAM, Barn... taxman of Barnashallag who died ... 1761
48. **Shaped stone, skull & cross bones on back.
49. **On back: ‘Memento Mori’ and large skull & crossbones
** Noted in RCAHMS (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland), “Ecclesiastical Monuments”, pages 51-2, #15