"Knap", seen from from the remains of Ballimore, east across Knap to Loch Caolisport. Ballimore is one of several abandoned settlements throughout Argyll. At one time, there were 10 farms in this area of "Knap", extending from Castle Sween to Ceannlochcaolisport (ie., the head of Loch Caolisport).
On the east side of Loch Sween, this castle guards the mouth of the Loch, looking past nearby islands and down the Sound of Jura towards Ireland. It is one of the earliest stone castles in western Scotland, having been built about 1150 or so.
Achahoish: Parish Church of South Knapdale
This Church was completed in 1775 (after the then Minister, Daniel Hyndman, took legal action against the local landowners - until then he had to 'preach in the fields.') and is one of the oldest surviving churches in Argyll. Its gallery, tower and belfry was added to the structure in the 19th century. Inside, there is a stone font, said to have been brought from St Columba's Cave on the west side of Loch Caolisport.
Keills Cross: a 7th Century cross, now inside Keills chapel for its own protection. This Chapel was at one time a Celtic teaching centre of "Little Cells". It was associated with a nearby island, "Eilean Mor MacCormaig": the founder of this centre, St Carmaig, made his retreats to that island. Around this Chapel was a settlement, "Keillmore", now de-populated. There is an old burial ground associated with Keills Chapel.
John Campbell and his wife, Effy MacIntyre: both born in Knapdale. John was the son of Donald Campbell and his wife, Ann McEwan. He was born in 1824, in North Keills. Effy was christened in 1839, the daughter of Duncan McIntyre and his second wife, Catherine Munn. The MacIntyre family lived in Ardnaw, near Kilmory Knap. The Campbells left Knapdale about 1853. I don't know when Effy left the area, but she married John in January 1862 in Upper Canada. The complete photo from which this closeup was taken can be seen in the "Leaving Knapdale" section.
Daniel Lang and Mary Lang, brother and sister, both born in Knapdale. Their parents, Hector Lang and Isabella Galbreath, were married in Ballimore, in 1834, and moved to Baille Boidheach in Ormsary Estate before 1839. Both Mary and Daniel were born at Ormsary. The whole family left Knapdale for Upper Canada in 1853. Mary's husband was Robert Mowbray, and Daniel Lang married Ann Jane Graham.
Major General Sir Archibald Campbell of Inverneill purchased this area of Knapdale from the Campbells and McNeills in the late 1700s. This portrait was done by George Romney, on the occasion of the gentleman's becoming a Knight of the Bath. It is part of the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., Timken Collection. Although he - and his nephew Sir James - are buried in Westminster Abbey, he is mentioned, along with his illustrious family, at the Campbell of Inverneill Mausoleum. Also, for information on the Inverneill Knapdale Estates this man purchased in the 1770's , and for a biography of his life and attainments, go to this section of the site.
Go to Knapdale People home page